System Discounts is a method of discounting the retail price and/or the cost of product(s) automatically, by products following a set of rules that must be met during a transaction. Discounts are diverse in how they can be configured, such as having day/time/store/quantity limits, different taxation rules, and house account rules.
Gone are the days when one must manually discount products at the time of sale or build them into the price; the system will automatically handle these and give detailed reports on all different values.
Navigating to the Discounts Module
To reach the Discounts module:
- Log in to Control Center
- Choose Point of Sale
- Choose Pricebook
- Choose Discounts/Buydowns
- Choose Discounts
Understanding the Discounts Module Layout
Please see the image below labeled Figure A for a description of the buttons and fields that appear on the screen.
1.1 Add New: This button will add the new discount with all the details provided in the Add New Discount Form.
1.2 Mass Updates: This button will update a list of discounts that have already been created at a single time.
1.3 Manage Discount Groups: This button will help you manage the discount group.
2.1 Edit Discount: This button will open the Edit Discount Form of an existing discount
2.2 Copy Discount: This button will help you copy the discount type adjacent to the copy discount button
2.3 Delete: Delete button will help you delete the created discount record.
Adding New Discount
Follow the steps mentioned below to add a buydown record:
- Click the “Add New” button highlighted in Figure A above to add a new buydown.
- The form highlighted in Figure B will appear on your screen.
Add New Discounts Fields and Buttons:
3.1. Name: Give a unique name to the newly created system discounts.
3.2. Discount Group: Pick a discount group that is listed in the drop-down menu below.
3.3. Type: This button helps you define the type of discount from the list of options. See (Figure C).
- $ OFF Each Item: When the quantity is met, a dollar amount is removed from each item.
- Percentage Off Each Item: when the quantity is met, a percentage is removed from each item.
- X Items For y Dollars: when the quantity is met, each item is reduced to equal a set amount (two
- for $1, three for $5, etc.)
- Buy X Get Y % Off: When the buy quantity is met, gives a percent discount off a specified number of items.
3.4. Qty: The quantity option represents the number of items required for the discount to trigger. For example- if the field is set to "2", then whenever the customer buys a set of "2" units of items (say 2 Marlboro packs) then the discount will be triggered (the amount entered in ($ OFF Each Item) field) and that amount will be waved off the items bought together.
3.5 $ Off Each Item: This is the field that is activated when the quantity is met, a dollar amount is removed from each item.
3.6. Or More: If In the above QTY field you have set the number to 2, then if the toggle is turned ON, then the discount will get triggered for 2 or more quantities (even for 3). If the toggle is turned OFF, then the discount will get triggered only for 2 or a pair of 2s.
4.1. Select Locations: You can pick the location options as All, By Locations, and By Location Groups.
4.2. Add Item Type: This filter dropdown allows you to choose the method of what items are in the discount,
either choosing specific items (that are assigned manually) or by a department/tree categorization of item(s).
4.3. Use Trigger List: When checked, the discount will not fire until the triggered amount of items is purchased (this enables a new field called “Trigger Qty” where this value is placed).
Buttons of Add New Discount Form:
1.1 Save & Close: Click on this button if you want to save all the details in the Discount Form and close it.
1.2. Save & New: Click on this button if you want to save all the details in the Discount Form and also want to create a new discount.
1.3. Save: Click on this button if you want to stay on the same page after saving the details.
1.4. Cancel: Click on this button to discard the changes made in the form.
Follow the steps mentioned below to edit a product:
- Click the “Edit” button highlighted in Figure A above to edit a discount.
- The form highlighted in Figure F will appear on your screen.
Edit Discount Fields and Buttons:
1.1 Details: This tab elaborates all the basic details of a discount record that you are creating.
1.2 Schedules: This is yet another tab that will help you create a schedule.
1.3 Options: This tab offers you assorted options that will add attributes to the discount.
2.1. Delete: This button will help you delete the current discount.
2.2. Save & Close: Click on this button if you want to save all the details in the Discount Form and close it.
2.3. Save & New: Click on this button if you want to save all the details in the Discount Form and want to create a new discount.
2.4. Save: Click on this button if you want to stay on the same page after saving the details.
2.5. Cancel: Click on this button to discard the changes made in the form.
3. Basic Details
The fields and buttons as highlighted in Figure G are described above in Add Discount Form.
4. Select Locations: You can pick the location options as All, By Locations, and By Location Groups. (See Figure D).
5. Delete Single Store Location: This button will help clear the location adjacent to the delete button.
6. Add Filter Type: This filter dropdown allows you to choose the method of what items are in the discount, either choosing specific items (that are assigned manually) or by a department/tree categorization of item(s) See (Figure E).
7.1: Clear All: This button will clear all the filters listed below in the list below.
7.2: Manage Filter: This button will help you manage the filters for items to be selected under discounted item filter.
7.2. Manage Filter (Fields and Buttons)
- Results: This is a list of filtered items categorized under a selected category.
- Move Next Button: This button lets you move ahead with the selection of the items.
- Selected List: This side of the form displays a list of selected items.
- Clear Selection: This button helps you clear the complete selection of the items.
- Delete Single Selection: If you wish to delete a single item from the selection.
- Various Buttons: With these buttons, you can manage the data filled in the Manage Filter form.
- Change All Points Values: This button helps you in changing all points values in one go!
- You can change the point value as per the requirement.
- Then, click on Apply button to apply to changes made, else click on Cancel.
- Apply: This button will apply the changes made in the Manage Filter Form as highlighted in Figure H.
- Close: This button will help you close the form without saving the form.
8. Remove Single Product: This button will let you delete a single item selected after filtering.
9. Trigger Items
9.1: Trigger Quantity: While creating a discount record, you can enter a certain quantity of items in this textbox that will trigger a discount.
9.2: Manage: This button will help manage and select the product that is to be added under the Trigger Items List. See (Figure H) for the hint.
10. Remove Selection: Removes the item from the selected row in “Trigger in Discounts.”
Follow the steps mentioned below to schedule a discount:
- Click the “Schedules” Tab highlighted in Figure B above to schedule a discount.
- The form highlighted in Figure J will appear on your screen.
- Start Date: This field lets you choose a drop-down calendar to schedule a date for a discount.
- End Date: This field helps you select an end date from the drop-down calendar attached to the related text field.
- Use Schedule: You can turn ON this toggle if you wish to trigger the created discount for the selected date and time. In case the schedule is turned OFF, the created scheduled is discarded.
- Click the “Options” Tab highlighted in Figure B above to schedule a discount.
- The form highlighted in Figure L will appear on your screen.
- Receipt Text: This would be the text that will be displayed on the receipt after applying the discount.
- Priority: This field is co-related with Stackable Toggle explained below.
- Limit Per Transaction: The value in this field decides how many times the discount can be allowed per transaction. If this field is to "0," it implies "unlimited." In other cases, if the value is 1 or 2, then only 1 and 2 discount attempts are allowed per transaction.
- Stackable: If this toggle is set to YES, it implies that multiple discounts can be allowed on the same product in a single transaction. If this toggle is set to NO, then the system is going to use the PRIORITY. So, whatever is the higher priority, the higher being "1", this will be the discount that will be applied.
For example: If you have two discounts of 5 cents and 10 cents. Under both these discounts, you have the same product. If the 10-cent discount has PRIORITY Level 1 and the 5-cent discount has PRIORITY Level 2 and on both the Stackable is set NO. So, whenever you ring that product up that is the part of both the discounts, the 10-cent discount will be applied because the 10-cent discount is a higher priority. If the Stackable toggle is turned ON, then both discounts will be applied.
- Apply Tax Before Discount: Depending on the location, discounts may or may not be taxed, It is generally dependent on the governing rules of that area. If this toggle is set to NO in a scenario wherein you have purchased one dollar item with a 10-cent discount, here, the remaining 90 cents will be taxed. If this is set to YES, then you are taxed before the discount is applied.
- Apply to Cost: If this is set to YES, then in addition to reducing the retail price, it will also reduce the cost as well and if it is toggled to YES, it functions as a buydown i.e., the discount will be applied to cost as well to the price.
- Inventory Clearance: This option is by default set to NO, If this is set to YES, then it will look into the items assigned to this discount and it will essentially clear them out. As soon as you sell those products out, this will archive(disable) the discount.
- In Scan Data Report: If this is set to True, it means you are providing data on this discount to those who are in the retail scan data program. If set to NO, it won't be visible.
- Scan Data Classification: The scan data can be classified in the categories mentioned in the drop-down menu. See (Figure M) below. You can pick it as automatic, multipack, account-funded, or manufacturer funded.
- Require Loyalty: If this is set to NO, the discount doesn't require loyalty! As long as you are buying the products, you are eligible for a discount. If this is set to True, then it means, a registered loyalty customer has to be tied to the transaction.
- Customer Daily Limit*: If the limit is set to 1, then only one discount can be availed by the customer in 24 hours period,
- Customer Weekly Limit*: If the limit is set to 1, then only one discount can be availed by the customer in 7 day period,
- Customer Total Limit*: This would be the total number of discounts that can be availed by a customer during the time period of discount ranging from the start date to the end date.
- Store Limit: This limit is the total limit of the discount that a store can render.
- Overall Limit: This limit is the total number of discounts that are divided or offered to all the stores.
- Accounting Code: This is your general ledger code for export.
- Export Description: This would be the name that you wish to give to that accounting export.
- Disable Sending Alert: This toggle if set to YES, it will disable the sending alert.
Manage Discount Groups
Follow the steps mentioned below to manage the discount group:
- Click the "Manage Discount Group" button highlighted in Figure A above to manage the discount group.
- The dialog box highlighted in Figure N will appear on your screen.
Fields and Buttons
1. Discount Group List: This list presents you with a list of discount groups that are already been created.
2.1 Assign Discount: This button helps you assign discounts from the list of created discount types. See (Figure O)
2.2 Edit: This button will let you edit/update the discount group name.
2.3 Delete: This button will help you delete the selected discount group.
3,1 Add Discount Group: This button is for adding a new discount group by giving it a name.
3.2: Cancel: Click on the button to discard all the changes made in the dialog box.
Follow the steps mentioned below to update the many discounts at once.
- Click the "Mass Update" button highlighted in Figure A above for updating discounts on a mass level.
- The dialog box highlighted in Figure Q will appear on your screen.
- Check the discount name you wish to edit/update.
- To select the 'n' number of discounts, press Click+ Ctrl to select multiple discounts.
Mass Update's Fields and Buttons:
1. List: This is a list of all the discounts created in the system.
2. Attributes: These are the critical attributes of the system discount that can be managed according to the needs.
2.1. Alter Date Ranges: You can alter the date ranges only when the associated value with the Toggle trigger is set to YES. See Figure R.
There are three methods by which you can alter the date ranges of the discount:
1) Change Date Range: You can change the date range of the created discount with this Alter Date Range option. This option offers you the liberty to change the start or end date of the discount duration.
2) Extend Date Range: This option lets you extend the date of discount by X number of days, weeks, and even months.
3) Change End Date: This is another option that will help you alter the date range by changing only the end date of the discount period.
2.2: Change Apply Tax To When the associated toggle's trigger value is YES, you are allowed to change the value of Change Apply Tax To: False/True according to the need.
2.3: Change Require Loyalty To: When the value of the associated Toggle is set to YES, you can alter the option's value to True or False.
2.4: Change in Scan Data Report: If the value of the associated toggle is YES, you can make the alteration in the Scan Data report.
2.5: Delete Discount: This toggle if set to YES will allow you to delete the selected discounts and all the above options will be automatically disabled.
2.6: Apply Location Changes: Whenever the related Flag is set to YES, then you will have the privilege to replace the existing locations for which the discount is applied.
Manage Location: This button will help you add the discount to all the selected discounts.
3.1. Cancel: This button helps you cancel all the changes made in the dialog box and take you back to the previous form.
3.2. Update Selected Discounts: This button will help save and update the discounts that are selected with their attributes.
Follow the steps mentioned below to delete a discount record:
- Click the “Delete” button highlighted in Figure A above to delete a discount.
- The dialog box highlighted in Figure T will appear on your screen.
- Click on the “Copy Discount” Button (See Figure A) to copy the changes made to the current adjustment record so that you can repeat the adjustment of the items later or whenever required.
- On clicking, a form shown in Figure U appears.
- Click on OK and the discount will be copied.