POS Flag Overview
A POS Flag controls several properties of an item during the sales process, generally at the department level but it can be directly applied at the item level. The POS Flag holds several unique properties, such as age restrictions, if food stamps can be accepted, tax group assignments, and excise taxes that are charged during a standard sale.
Ex. "Tobacco" products will have an age restriction of 21, so this is set to 21 on the POS flag. That POS Flag is applied at the entire tobacco department. Some grocery products can be paid for via food stamps, so those products are assigned a POS Flag that has the food stamp toggle set to true.
How POS Flag will configure under FTx-Cloud Retail: “Tax Rates > Tax Groups > POS Flags > Departments > Products fall in the specific departments”
- Tax Rates: Configure the rates of the tax and these rates will be location specific.
- Tax Groups: Tax Rates will be added to the Tax Group. Whatever tax rates (single or multiple) are to be applied to the products, are assigned in the Tax Group.
- POS Flags: The tax group will be assigned to the POS Flag along with age restriction & excise tax if applicable. It is possible that one Tax Group could be assigned to multiple POS Flags.
(This is explained in this KB Article.)
- Department: The POS Flag will be assigned to the department so that the products that fall into the department will be classified into a specific tax group, age restriction, & excise tax if applicable. It is possible that one POS Flag could be assigned to multiple departments.
- Products/Items: Only one department will be assigned. The department is to classify the products into specific tax groups, age restrictions, and other options.
Navigating to the Tax Groups module
To reach the "Pricebook Zones",
- Step-1: Login to Control Center
- Step-2: Choose Point of Sales
- Step-3: Choose Maintenance
- Step-4: Choose Taxes
- Step-5: Choose POS Flags
Understanding the POS Flag main page
By clicking the "POS Flags" from the drop-down selection as shown in above Figure A, the POS Flags page will be redirected as shown in Figure B below.
1. You will see the list of the existing pos flags in the grid view.
2. From the grid view, the Tax Group column represents the specific tax group that is assigned to the POS Flag. The tax group that is not assigned to the POS Flag yet will be indicated as - (dashed).
3. Age Restriction column represents whether the age is required for the POS Flag. If the age restriction option is enabled, it will indicate with the green right marked.
4. The Age Required column represents what age is required during product sales.
5. Edit POS Flag: This button helps the user to modify the details of the POS Flag.
6. Delete Tax Group This button helps the user to remove the POS Flag.
7. Add New: This button helps the user to add a new tax group.
Adding a New POS Flag
Follow the steps mentioned below to add a new POS Flag:
- Click the "Add New" button highlighted in Figure B to add a new POS Flag.
- After clicking the "Add New" button, the form highlighted in Figure C will appear on the screen.
Fields: You will see the following fields of the POS Flag
1. Name: Enter the name of the POS Flag.
When the customer is paying for purchasing any item, money is credited to the store. It means the transaction will show the amount as positive. But, if the customer has a discount coupon or needs to pay for a winning lottery to the customer, the money will be debited in both cases and the transaction will show the amount as negative.
Note: By enabling this feature, a user can assign the POS Flag to a payout-specific department. So, for the item that is in the payout-specific department, the system automatically displays a negative amount for that transaction.
Thus, you will not require a manual setup to calculate the payout type transaction. The inventory will automatically be updated with related deductions when the payment is made by the store to a customer.
6. Age Required: This field only appears when the parent field "Has Age Restriction" is enabled. Insert the specific age value to restrict selling the product to customers whose age is below the inserted age. Figure E
Age Verification is mandatory on certain types of products such as Tobacco, Alcohol, etc. Different states have different age restrictions to sell the product to the customer. So, when the product is scanned at checkout and that is in the department having a POS flag assigned with "Age Restriction" enabled, the age verification will be asked to sell the scanned product.
Note: The age value entered in the field will be applicable to all locations.
7. Use Grandfather Policy: This field provides you with an additional age restriction rule in certain states. By enabling this field, the "Grandfather Policy" & "Grandfather Policy Date" fields will appear. See Figure F
8. Grandfather Policy Age: Insert the value of age.
9. Grandfather Policy Date: Select the date to verify the age value of the customer before that date. You will get a tiny calendar to select the date.
Grandfather Policy Age & Date fields are to verify the customer's age as per the specific date whether the customer's age is above or below.
Note: Grandfather Policy will be applicable only in certain states. If you disable the "Use Grandfather Policy", the system will consider the age that is entered "Age Required" field.
10. Excise Tax: Enter the applicable excise tax value. The entered tax value will be applicable to all the locations.
Manage Excise Tax Locations
The excise tax values vary for the different states for the specific products. So, you can enter the applicable excise tax values at exceptional locations under the "Manage Excise Tax Locations". See Figure G above
11. Add Location: Click the "Add Location" button to enter the excise tax value for the specific locations. By clicking on it, the "Select Location" and "Excise Tax" fields will be added in a row.
12. Select Location: You will get the drop-down selection of the Locations. Select the location from the list where the excise tax is different.
13. Excise Tax: Insert the applicable excise tax value.
As shown in Figure H, you can add the exceptional excise tax values for specific locations. So, the excise tax value will be $ 2.00 (20%) for all the locations except the locations that are added under the "Manage Excise Tax Locations" ($ 3.0 and $ 1.50)
Manage Age Restrictions Locations
There will be different age policies at some of the locations. So, you can enter the applicable age values at locations under the "Manage Age Restriction Locations". See Figure I
14. Add Location: Click the "Add Location" button to enter the age value for the specific locations. By clicking on it, the "Select Location" and "Age Required" fields will be added in a row.
15. Select Location: You will get the drop-down selection of the Locations. Select the location from the list where the age value is different. See Figure I
As shown in Figure I, you can add the age restriction values for specific locations. So, the age value will be 18 years for all the locations except the locations that are added under the "Manage Age Restriction Locations" (15 years).
16. Buttons: Once the POS Flag is configured, save the POS Flag. See Figure I above
- Save & Close: Click on this button if you want to save the POS Flag details and close it.
- Save & New: Click on this button if you want to save the POS Flag details but also want to new tax rate for another applicable tax on a product.
- Save: Click on this button if you want to stay on the POS Flag details page after saving it.
- Cancel: The POS Flag will not be added (saved) and you will redirect to the list of the POS Flag page.
Once the POS Flag details are saved, the new record will be listed on the POS Flag page. See Figure J below.
- In the "Tax Group" column, an assigned tax group will be shown. Here, the State Tax is assigned to the newly added POS Flag (PHARMA).
- If the POS Flag is age restriction enabled, you will see the green ticked mark and the age value in the "Age Restriction" and "Age Required" columns respectively.
Excise Tax Value on Price or Cost
As per requirement, you can apply the excise tax on the product's "Price" or "Cost" from the POS Global Settings. See Figure K below
For that, navigate to the Maintenance > Settings & Panels > POS > POS Device Global Settings > Register Settings > you will see the "Excise Tax Applied To" option under the Misc POS Settings.
Assigning the POS Flag to Department
You need to assign the POS Flag to the department to apply the tax rates, age restrictions, and other options to the product that is assigned in the same department. See Figure L.
About Departments is explained in separate KB Article of Departments.
POS Flag for Product
By default, the POS Flag is pulled from the department but if you need to change the POS Flag of the product as per need, you will have an override option to select the POS Flag for the specific product.
For that, you need to follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the product details page where you will find the "Additional Information" button under the Quick Tools menu.
- By clicking on the "Additional Information" button, the Additional Product Information pop-up will appear on the screen as shown in Figure M
- You will see the POS Flag drop-down option, from where you can select the POS Flag that you want to apply to the product and save the product.
So, what the POS Flag is assigned to the product's department, it will be considered the selected POS Flag from the "Additional Product Information".
Editing POS Flag details
Follow the steps mentioned below to edit/update the POS Flag details:
- To edit and modify the POS Flag, click the "Modify" button that is highlighted in Figure A or simply click on the POS Flag name from the list.
- In both cases, you will redirect to the POS Flag details page. See Figure N below.
1. You can see the existing POS Flag details. You can modify the details as per need.
2. You will have an additional "Delete" button from the editing page of the POS Flag.
- Delete: By clicking the "Delete" button, you can delete the POS Flag record and remove it from the system. If you click, the warning message will pop up on the screen to confirm the deletion.
3. Buttons: Once the tax group details are updated, save the tax rate details. (Save buttons explanations will be similar to “Adding a POS Flag”.)
Deleting a POS Flag
Follow the steps mentioned below to delete the POS Flag:
- Click on the "Remove" button highlighted in Figure A to delete the POS Flag. You can delete the Tax Rate record from its editing page as well (See Figure N).
- In both cases, a warning popup will be asked to confirm the deletion. See Figure O below.
Deleting an assigned POS Flag
You cannot delete the POS Flag if you have already been assigned to the Department. So, if you try to delete it, you will see the notification message as shown in Figure P.